Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Marriage and Parenting

My hubby and I have know each other now for 14 years. We met when we were 13. Stayed friends through our teenage years and "noticed" each other in 2008. He ran the marathon to pursue me and finally won me over. We got married in 2010. (Check out "Our LOVE Story"  under Stories on the right column of this page) He is very patient, a hard worker and kind. His laugh is infectious and his energy contagious. I love just being with him; He is my best friend.


 


 I have heard of couples having a tough adjustment the first year of marriage. I would say for us, other than the normal adapting and becoming familiar with each others routines and habits, we had a smooth transition into marriage. The "honeymoon stage" lingered well past our honeymoon. 




We found out in November of last year that we were pregnant. Babe was beyond excited! I was a little nervous. Being a mom seemed so big and scary. And I was pretty sure I wanted to be a stay at home mom if possible.

  
 


Fast forward to present day and the point of this post. We've have been married for 3.5 years and have a 9 week old baby girl. Becoming parents has been a bigger adjustment for our relationship than I had anticipated. Probably more for me than him. I feel so needy! Being home with the baby all day long and having him come home from work is a breath of fresh air. I look forward to him walking in the door, simply to see another face and to have adult conversation. I need time with him, even if it means him sitting in the nursery with me while I feed Baby Girl. I need his presence and companionship.



Being parents means that we have to invent new ways to enhance our relationship. I am realizing that things will change in how we do things, but it doesn't have to change the depth and intimacy of our relationship. We may not be able to go out on dates as often, but we can cuddle on the couch and watch a movie when Baby Girl goes to bed or go on walks together as a family in the evenings.

Babe and I talk about how we want our marriage to always come before our kids. We want to put each other first. That is hard at times, especially in this infant stage when we are constantly giving and fulfilling Baby Girl's needs. But ultimately, when I'm 50 and our kids are all grown and out of the house, I want to still be as madly in love with my hubby as I was when we were dating. I think it all begins with being intentional now.

And so we continue on the journey of learning, growing and loving in this new season of our lives.






No comments:

Post a Comment